Wersja kontrastowa
Wielkość czcionki A A A


A brief history of tourism in the Pieniny – The calendar


- A famous Tatra explorer - Georg Bucholtz - stayed at Czerwony Klasztor (Red Monastery).


- Expedition of scientists led by Jakub Bucholtz explored the sites of Aksamitka cave, Dursztyn, Falsztyn and Czorsztyn and collected fossils there. They were also the first to explore the route from Czerwony Klasztor (Red Monastery) to Lesnica passing through the Dunajec gorge.


- According to Zofia Paryska, Franz Ignatz Jaeschke (known as Brother Cyprian from Red Monastery) was probably the first to climb „Ganek” in the Three Crowns massif.


- Tatra explorer Belsazar Hacquet, both a doctor and a naturalist, conducted research in the Pieniny.


- Stanisław Staszic set out on an expedition across the Pieniny Spiskie. He was exploring outcrops in the vicinity of Dursztyn.


- Chrystian Generisch wrote about the clients of the Śmierdzonka health resort (nowadays Red Monastery) and the healing properties of local mineral waters.


- The Gross family bought Krościenko at an auction and created a small clinic.


- Stefan and Józefina Szalay bought Szczawnica.


- X. Prek and P. Wojnarowski were the first tourists to climb the Three Crowns.


- The first guide to Szczawnica and the Pieniny by Franciszek Herbich was published.


- The Grosses resold Krościenko. Soon, it passed by inheritance to Dziewolski family.

after 1850

- Steps were carved in the Okrąglica rock and a small wooden sightseeing gallery was built at the top,
- Rides in light open horse-drawn carriages from Szopka pass to the Pieniny glade became popular.


- Szczawnica grew strongly and became the most popular health resort during the management of Szalay.


- The Dunajec river trip was described for the first time as an organized event.


- Ludwik Zajszner wrote about „flotillas” of 10-15 boats rafting down the Dunajec river.


- J. Szalay’s „Album Szczawnickie” with text by Szczęsny Morawski was released.


- „A guide to spas in Szczawnica” by Onufry Trembecki was published.


- A bridge at Zawiesy in Krościenko on the road to Szczawnica was built.


- The number of clients who came to visit Szczawnica exceeded 2,000.


- The Galician Tatra Society was established (later Polish Tatra Society) by Feliks Pławicki and Józef Szalay.


- J. Szalay took the initiative in building the Pieniny Road from Szczawnica to Red Monastery (Czerwony Klasztor).


- J. Szalay died; in accordance with his will Szczawnica was possessed by the Cracow Learned Society.


- Thanks to the endeavours of the national marshal in Galicia Mikołaj Zyblikiewicz, building of the Pieniny Road was completed.


- The branch of the Tatra Society was set up in Pieniny.


- „Csarda” tavern at Polanka in the Dunajec river gorge was open. It used to be the starting point for regular raft trips, on the Polish side, across from „Csarda”, the „Szczawnica” tavern was open. Raftsmen were the main customers when they were pulling dugouts upstream.


- Project for building a railway line from Nowy Targ to Szczawnica was prepared.


- The Tatra Society in Pieniny was set up with Władysław Ściborowski as a chairman. The branch consisted of 29 members (although according to the statute the number was supposed to be 50). Dr. Józef Kołączkowski and Stanisław Drohojowski (among others) served as the board’s trustees.
- The Pieniny Road was destroyed by summer flooding.


- Józef Madeja and Jacenty Majerczak were approved as the first Pieniny guides,
- The final decision to build the road to Pieniny Castle was made.


- A private mountain shelter „Andzia” was built on the upper edge of the Pieniny glade. It was extended several times and fulfilled its function until 1937.


- Step irons and chains were installed at the Three Crowns.


- The branch of the Polish Tatra Society in Pieniny built a mountain tavern-shelter. It was named after Mikołaj Zyblikiewicz.


- Consecration of Blessed Kinga’s grotto at Zamkowa mountain. A hermit Władysław Stachura lived in Pieniny castle ruins until 1914.


- Zygmunt Tałasiewicz and a guide Józef Madeja marked the old trail from Krościenko to Sromowce Niżne through Szopka pass with yellow colour. It was the first tourist trail in the Pieniny
- The road from Szopka pass to the top of Three Crowns was marked with blue crosses.


- A tourist station run by the Tatra Society was established at Drohojowski forester’s lodge in Sromowce Niżne (the W. Pol shelter).
- The Sienkiewicz shelter was built at Małe Przechodki.
- Kazimierz Sosnowski marked the green trail from Krościenko to Pod Sokolicą pass – the so-called „Madeja Trail”.
- Sokolica, Czertezik, Czerwone Skałki and Okrąglica were made safe for visitors to climb by the construction of iron balustrades.


- The Tatra society took the initiative in establishing a guard to protect paths, shelters and notices in the Pieniny.
- Establishment of the rafting marina at Sromowce Niżne as well as the Tatra Society offices in Czorsztyn, Szczawnica and Krościenko.
- A ban on selling of alcoholic drinks at the Zyblikiewicz shelter was discussed. The ban was introduced in 1911.


- Count Adam Stadnicki bought Szczawnica; Stanisław Drohojowski became the chairman of the branch of the Tatra Society in Szczawnica.


- Another flood destroyed the Pieniny Road.


- The Zyblikiewicz shelter was destroyed by fire.


- The Orkisz family from Krościenko built a private shelter on Limierczyki glade.


- A hermit - Wincenty Kasprowicz - settled at Zamkowa Mountain.


- The branch of the Polish Tatra Society „Beskid” in Nowy Sącz opened the shelter at Piaski.
- The Polish Tatra Society opened a tourist station in Szczawnica Niżna. Jacenty Majerczak played the role of host. Regarded as very popular, this shelter was open until 1950.
- The Main Board of the Polish Tatra Society established a tourist station at “Biały Domek” villa (it was destroyed by flooding in 1934)
- Stanisław Drohojowski started building a summer resort at Nadzamcze in Czorsztyn. The number of holidaymakers (amongst whom were the wife of marshal Piłsudski with her daughters and Melchior Wańkowicz) reached 1370 in 1933.


- The Reverend Walenty Gadowski marked the blue trail at Sokola Perć and the red trail at Skalna Perć which used to lead from Przechodki through Wilcza Skała and the Pieniny Stream valley to Skalna Brama and Pieniny castle ruins.


- Tourist Committee in Śląskie province built the tourist shelter (the present “Three Crowns"shelter).
- The Polish Tatra Society branch in Tarnów opened a tourist station at “Sperling” tavern in Czorsztyn.


– The Ministry directive on establishing the Pieniny National Park was published in "Monitor Polski".


- Skalna Perć and the majority of tourist trails marked by Gadowski were closed.


- The Podhale region was devastated by a big flood.
- The old bridge in Krościenko was washed away by water and smashed against the pillars of a new crossing that was being built. The crossing withstood the catastrophe and still remains to the present day.
- KCST opened a shelter, the post office and a forester’s lodge in Czerwony Klasztor (Red Monastery)


- Sienkiewicz tourist shelter was closed and the buildings at Skalna Perć were pulled down.
- The shelter at Limierczyki was destroyed by fire.


– The hermitage at Zamkowa Mountain burnt down; rebuilding was forbidden by the State.


- Eleonora Klewarowa let the „Orlica” villa to PTTK for use as a shelter.


- The Pieniny National Park was re-formed.


- „Dworzec Gościnny” in Szczawnica was destroyed by fire.


- The roads to Jaworki and Sromowce Niżne were metalled with a hard surface.


- „The Pieniny Museum” in Szczawnica was opened.


- A new rafting marina at Sromowce Wyżne – Kąty was opened.


- The border crossing at Szczawnica – Leśnica was opened.